“Design is way too important to
be left to a bunch of designers”
Velvet Run is Velvet’s internship program for a new age. Applying design principles and methods has less to do with Photoshop skills and more to do with how you go about creating meaningful change. It’s a way to make sense of the world.
This program is a unique learning experience that very quickly and intensely delivers everything you will encounter in your journey forward with us or elsewhere.
It is perfect for you if you are a young designer, copywriter, software developer, project manager or just a person who would like to find their spot in the creative industries.
How does this work?
It's really simple:
1. Fill in the application form, do tell us as much as you can, as this information will be the first basis of selection for us.
2. We will select 20 people from all the applicants and ask you to present yourself in an open Pecha-Kucha night format.
3. We will pick 6-8 of you for the SprintTrack, where you'll spend 5 very intense Design Sprint days with us working on a real client brief.
4. Following the design sprint we continue for another week or so working as a full member of our team on real client projects with a dedicated mentor at your side.
5. Then you’ll be able to apply for the LongTrack, an internship the terms of which will be agreed separately. You’ll also have a proverbial foot-in-the-door when we need a somebody to join us on a more permanent basis.
NEXT RUN will take place in January 2019!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I’m a just a graphic design student, can I still apply?
A: Yes. You should definitely apply now.
Q: I’m like 40 or 50, am i too old for this stuff?
A: No! We don't care about your age. We care about your commitment to learn and your determination to make your world a better place. Your life experience, good or bad, is an asset. Use it wisely.
Q: I don't speak English, is that a problem?
A: Yes. How are you even reading this? Our team and tools are
international, no English - no fly.
Q: I am currently working as a *position here* at one of your competitors, can I apply?
A: Yes, just make sure you have the time to do it (take a vacation, perhaps) and that your boss knows you are participating (we don't need any angry phone calls)
Q: What is an open Pecha-Kucha night?
A: Pecha-Kucha night is a presentations event, in which each presenter delivers his/her message with 20 slides, showing each slide 20 seconds. This enables you to present your message in a compact 6 and a half minutes. Please get familiar with the format at pechakucha.org
Q: Which format should I prepare and save my presentation in for the Pecha-Kucha?
A: Please prepare and save your presentations in PDF format. You will receive more technical specifications on preparing your presentation closer to the date.
Q: Who will be in the audience for the Pecha-Kucha?
A: You will be presenting to the whole Velvet office and their friends.
Q: What language should I present in at Pecha-Kucha?
A: English. Also be prepared to work the whole SprintTrack in English. See Q1.
Q: I'm way too advanced for all of this, can I get right to the LongTrack?
A: Confidence is key. Please state your case by dropping a line to email@example.com. #nopromises
Q: I wanna do this, but I'm too shy or the dates don’t match :(
A: As we see it, you’ve got two options: wait for the next session (in August 2018) or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll see what we can do.
Q: Am I going to get paid?
A: Not for the SprintTrack. LongTrack is negotiable.
Q: When is the next one?
A: January 2019, but apply as soon as possible, lots of interest already!
How did the first two runs go?
Well.. It was tough, but fun :)